Thursday, January 15, 2009

The More I Learn the Less I Know :-(

I am a college student this month. An interesting experience. I'm taking an interim class at Calvin College. It meets every afternoon for three hours. That's a huge chunk out of my day. I'm studying African Cultures and Traditions through Folklore, hoping to learn a bit more about the African customs in Chinhangane. We've read a couple of books, and several short stories. The professor is a Kenyan, married to a Tanzanian. I love it when she shares stories about her personal life. She said she hasn't been able to find any folk tales or myths from Mozambique, but some of her stories sound similar to things I have encountered in Mozambique. I'm still trying to decide whether to audit the class or take it for credit. I'm just not sure I want to write the last paper.

1 comment:

Barb Terpstra said...

What! You have to write the paper. How can you take the class and get all that learning and not take the credit. Plus, writing is a great vehicle to really narrow down the parts that are important to you :-)